Saturday 5 January 2013

New Hooks!

I'm fairly new to crochet. I received a basic crochet starter set from my potential-mother-in-law-to-be for Christmas two years ago and, within a couple of weeks, wrote it off as 'too difficult' and gave up.

One whole year later, I tried again. With the help of various YouTube videos, and a little more determination, I picked it up quite quickly!

I have gradually built up a fairly large stash of various yarns, mostly from charity shops and family members who no longer knit, bought myself some comfy-handle hooks (crochet-related hand sores are the worst!) and have had one project or another on the go ever since.

Now, anyone who crochets will tell you that a chunky-yarn project is not only satisfyingly quick, but also looks pretty pro. I had acquired some chunky yarns but my hooks only went up to 6mm, so I 'suggested' to my other-half that he could get me 7, 8, 9, and 10mm hooks as a stocking filler, (he professes to struggle with stocking fillers but does a great job!)

To my surprise he got me these:
12x bamboo hooks ranging from 2-10mm - how cute are they?!

As soon as Christmas was over with I had to try them out; I'd found a great pattern for an 'ear-flap hat' on Pinterest which required using two strands and a 9mm hook. The hat turned out brilliantly and was so quick, but that's a post for another time.

The hook was great to use, it has a well placed indentation for the thumb and once I'd done a couple of rounds and got used to it, it seemed just as smooth to work with as my aluminium hooks. The only small difficulty I found was that the hook is possibly not deep enough to grab the yarn however, this may have only been because a was using two strands, I'd never crocheted with two strands before. I'll make sure my next project uses only 1 strand and see how it goes. The benefit of the bamboo, I suppose, is that I could always carve the hook more to how I want it, should it prove to be too shallow after all.


Time to decide on a new project!

No comments:

Post a Comment