Sunday 13 January 2013

Bananas, Bananas, Bananas!

Yes, I am still procrastinating instead creating a crocheted masterpiece... (ha!)

The reason? Well, due to a very severe case of human error last week, instead of ordering 7 bananas with my online shop ... you guessed it... 7 PACKS of bananas. Far. Too. Many.

Too many bananas!
We had two options: think of the money- send them back and receive a red-faced refund OR challenge ourselves to find some inventive ways to use 50 bananas before they rotted. I wanted to take them back but I was persuaded by my home-brew-fanatic boyfriend that he could definitely use most of them in an experimental banana-brew, (not sure how it will turn out... it seems to have stopped fermenting after only 7 days....). To give him credit, he did use up most of the bananas although, we are yet to taste test the brew...


Inventing a banana-brew.
The remaining few bananas are beginning to go brown - perfect time to make a banana loaf! I trawled the internet for a simple recipe, I don't really think it's worth baking your own if there are hundreds of expensive ingredients or the recipe requires things that you wouldn't usually have in the cupboard. Eventually I found this:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/banana_bread/

A basic recipe, with store-cupboard ingredients which meant I didn't have to go out or spend any more money! :D

I did edit the recipe slightly: I didn't have any vanilla so exchanged that for a little ground cinnamon to add some interest, I also added a few flaked almonds as I had some in the cupboard.

I always make a HUGE mess when I bake, but that's part of the fun!

Five minutes to throw the ingredients together. I did use my mixer even though the recipes suggests that you don't need to, and I didn't melt the butter first because I am lazy and didn't want to make an additional item dirty. One hour in the oven - I checked on it after 50 minutes and a knife still came out dirty so the whole hour was necessary. This is how it turned out:

Looks a tad over-done...


We are yet to taste test it ;) Will report the verdict shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment