Tuesday 12 March 2013

Very Easy Fingerless Mittens

I car-share to work most days and one frosty morning I complained to my colleague about driving all the way to work with VERY cold fingers!

She said that her fingerless-mittens kept her hands warm, and I laughed... I've always thought they were pointless as, by nature,  they don't cover your fingers, only your palms and therefore, (in my eyes), they couldn't work.

So she made me put them on - and they defied my logic! I had to have a pair and of course I wasn't going to buy any!

They didn't need to be fussy so I made the easiest, quickest, simplest fingerless-mittens using the same chunky red yarn that I used to for the trim of my earflap hat, (I do like items that match subtly).

It doesn't matter what yarn you use for this project as I've written it so that it's adaptable, just use whatever you like and the appropriate hook for that yarn. Both mittens are made in exactly the same way so follow this pattern twice for two mittens!


Ch= chain
Dc= UK double crochet
Htr= UK half treble crochet
Slst= slip stitch
sk= skip
Rpt= repeat

Foundation Row: Create a chain which comfortably goes around your wrist. I made mine a bit bigger as I wanted a baggy effect but you could make them tight fitting. Sl St to form a ring. (Make a note of how many you chained for the other mitten).

Note: the Ch2 at the beginning of each round counts as the first half treble for each round.

R1: Ch 2, htr in each st around, sl st to ch2.

R2: Rpt R1 until the tube is the length you require, (measure from your lower thumb knuckle - where your thumb joins to your hand - down to however long you want the mittens to be.)

Make a note of how many rows you have done as you will need to know to make the second mitten, (I did 10 rounds total therefore I will continue to count from there.)

R11: Ch2, ch6, sk 6 st, htr to 7th st then htr in each st around, slst to ch2.

R12: Ch2, htr in each st around, slst to ch2.

R13: Rpt R12 until the mitten is as high up your hand as you want it to be, for me this was just on my knuckles, (R18 for me), as I needed to keep as much of my fingers out as possible as I needed the grip for driving but you could carry on a bit further.

Finish off.

For the thumb hole, you could either leave it as it is or you can build it up a  bit as follows:

Start by joining anywhere on the thumb hole,

R1: ch1, dc in each st around, slst to ch 1.

Rpt R1 until you reach the desired length.




And it's as simple as that. I'm writing this post on a snowy day in my tiny, cold, box-house and my mittens are keeping my hands warm whilst a thick pair of socks, slippers and a blanket fail to keep my feet warm... I really should make something for my feet!


**This pattern is for personal use only and may not be sold, reprinted or copied in anyway without my permission. If you would like to sell something that you have made using my pattern, I ask that you give credit to me as the pattern designer and that you include a link back to the free pattern so that others may have the opportunity to make the item themselves.**


No comments:

Post a Comment