Monday 11 February 2013

A Handy Bag


I made this bag for myself very shortly after teaching myself to crochet, as a ‘pocket’ to carry all the everyday items that the children expect staff to produce on demand, (whiteboard pen, eraser, pencil, tissues!). Many of the teaching assistants that I work with have these little bags, (not crocheted but made from material), which I was informed were made for them by an ex-member of staff many years ago!

I suppose, (even if you don't work in a school), you could carry your reading glasses, a pen and notebook, ID badge, your mobile phone or other necessary gadgets etc in it.

I used a 4mm hook and my yarn was for that size hook. When I made it, I worked the size out as I went along so I’ve written the pattern so that you can do the same J. It could even be made to be used as an everyday handbag, although I'm not sure how the handle would hold out if the bag became too heavy!


Pattern:
ch= chain

dc= double crochet (US single)

sl st= slip stitch
htr= Half treble crochet (US half double)
rpt*= repeat section between two *


For the bag: 
Foundation Row: Ch as many as you need for the length of your bag, (top to bottom), then ch2 more.
R1: Htr into 3rd ch from hook. Htr in every chain to end.
R2: *Ch2 and turn. Htr into 3rd ch from hook. Htr in every chain to end.*
Rpt* until your work is double what you want the width of your bag to be.
Sl st to secure but before you cut your yarn, make sure there is plenty still attached so that you can use it to weave the two sides together.

Thread this end onto a needle and securely weave together the two long sides, (your starting chain and the last row you have just completed).

You will now have a tube. Make sure your tube is inside out and position the seam you have just made so it is at the back of the bag, in the middle, then weave together the bottom with a new piece of your yarn and the main part of the bag is complete!



For the flap:



Note: The flap can close in any way you want. I chose to add a button loop which needs to be included in the last row of the flap. The link below is the source I used for the loop on my bag.








Foundation Row: Ch as many as you need to match the width of your bag then ch2 more.
R1: Htr into 3rd ch from hook. Htr in every chain to end.
R2: *Ch2 and turn. Htr into 3rd ch from hook. Htr in every chain to end.*Rpt* until your work is the right size for your flap.Attach your flap by weaving together the foundation chain side to the back top edge of your bag.





For the handle: 


Foundation Row: Ch as many as you need for the length you want your handle to be then ch 1 more and turn.

R1: Dc in the second chain from the hook and then in every ch to the end.

For me this was wide enough but if you want a wider strap then just do the same again until it’s wide enough.Then sew each end of the strap to the top inside corners of the bag, (I did this using the same yarn.









Then it’s finished apart from a couple of optional extras!








1. A Lining.

I lined my bag as I was worried about it sagging. I followed these instructions:





2. Decoration.

I crocheted little colourful flowers and sewed them on, including little buttons in the middles. There are hundreds of patterns for little flowers in books, magazines and online so use whatever you like the look of :)




**This pattern is for personal use only and may not be sold, reprinted or copied in anyway without my permission. If you would like to sell something that you have made using my pattern, I ask that you give credit to me as the pattern designer and that you include a link back to the free pattern so that others may have the opportunity to make the item themselves.**

No comments:

Post a Comment